Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When the sky cried…

The sky complained, cribbed and finally cried. After fighting for 3 months, it gave up to the indifferent attitude of the sun. Someone rightly said, “When the sky cries, the world notices it.” So did I!

I never liked the rains, given a choice; I would rather cuddle myself in a comforter with some soup/coffee and a book/ipod than soak myself in the rain. However, this has most often not been the case, I had to soak myself in the rain and bear the clumsiness. Last year, every time it rained, I had to soak myself in it. This year, I am praying and hoping that I will be spared.

Yesterday, I dosed off in the bus on my way back home when suddenly, I woke up to the sound of a thunderstorm. It took me a while to get back to my senses and I realised I had got up from my seat at a wrong stop. Thankfully, I had not got off the bus.

I stood near the door waiting for my stop when it started raining (the first monsoon rain of the year). I hurried to close the door, silently praying that it stops raining by the time I reach my stop. I was worried about my footwear; I was wearing my favourite moujris and did not want to spoil them. I was ready to give in to the exorbitant demands of the auto rickshaw person to save my moujris.

I got off my bus when it started pouring heavily. The sky started pelting hailstones. Yes, within minutes it turned from a slight shower to a hailstorm. A hailstone fell on my head, the force with which it fell made my little brain topsy-turvy. I looked around for shelter but found no shack or shade. To add to my dismay, I was wearing glasses that soon gave up to the tears from the sky. My constant effort of wiping and cleaning them turned futile because I was cleaning them with a wet dupatta. I managed to cross the road, escaping from being hit by a bus, auto rickshaw and a car. I could hear the drivers shouting “Humari ghaadi mili hai kya”, “Dekh ke cross nahi karsaktay” etc. I wish they could realise that I had no intension to use their vehicle to commit suicide, my eyes had given up in the hailstorm and I could not see anything in the dark. The strong splashes of water by fellow drivers added to my misery.

I managed to cross the road, standing under a flyover; I thought about how blessed I am to have proper eyesight. I thought about the blind and the difficulties they face in life. Thank you, God for giving me eyesight so that I could see around and cross the road everyday.

Under the flyover, I was constantly fighting the strong splashes of water that hit me because of the rash driving by some indifferent drivers and the huge hailstones. My body gave up to the water, thunder and winds; I was now shivering and my right hand felt numb. I thought about the poor who live under the flyovers, footpaths and slums. Thank you, almighty for giving me a house and protecting me from everything.

I could not take the strong water splashes, winds, hailstones that hit my body and face; I decided to move ahead. I knew my journey ahead was not easy; I had to cross the road again. I prayed silently and hoped to reach my destination. I did not want to die without family around. I gathered courage and set my foot ahead when something hit me. I fell and thought it was the end and prayed to the almighty that if I die, let my family know that I am here and help them find me as soon as possible. It took me a few minutes to get back; I looked around and found myself in the middle of the road. I could either; go back to my starting position or move ahead to reach the other end of the road. I decided to move ahead and reached the other end. I thanked my lord for helping me reach the other end of the road safely. It was like crossing the road with closed eyes; I could not see anything because of the hailstones that slammed my glasses and the water that accumulated on it.

I quickly ran to find shelter under a tree when I saw lightening that took my breath. My heart started skipping beats and the thought that it might be the end of my life on earth frightened me. The lightening with that strong sound made me miss my family and friends. I wanted to hug my mother so badly. I wanted to hug my family and friends. I needed them so badly. That moment, I missed my parents so badly that I just wanted to run as fast as I could and hug them. Thank you, my Lord for giving me parents, family, friends, and loved ones. I am so very blessed to have them in my life.

The thought of dieing in the middle of road without family and friends around was just horrible. I have no words and do not know how to express the feelings I had at that time. I was so damn scarred. The thought of dieing on the road was so scary. I was reminded of the people who died because of accidents, wars, or died without loved ones around. My heart goes out to all the people who had a tragic death. One day, we have to die; it is inevitable but nothing can be scarier than the thought of dieing a tragic death. God, I know you will call me back one day but please call me peacefully. Please do not give me a tragic end.

I just wanted to reach my nest; I so desperately needed a hug. I decided to walk as fast as I could but the regular walk of 5 minutes seemed like a herculean task. I was so scarred of the lightening; I started walking, stopping every time the lightening roared. Every time the sky turned on the lights, it felt as if it would fall and burn me. I braved through the water log that was up to my knees and finally reached home safely.

This time the rain made me realise that I am blessed, I am lucky and I must be thankful to the Lord for everything. Thank you, my Lord for everything! I am now mourning the demise of my moujris. :(

5 comments:

  1. :) yeah rain was very bad yestday.but cudent hav imagined that u went thru soo much nxt time dont cum out of office wait n c if dad cums n pik u up.take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah....but it was not raining when I started from office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well well well! The rain gods decided to pay us a visit yesterday. So much drama in our city travelling from work to home. Life in the city is a struggle and an adventure.

    Anyways, would have loved to see those moujris. Trying to wrack my brains to remember your footwear yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. in a way rains have helped you realise how lucky you are to be compared to the million others who go this ordeal everyday..
    good realisation post.. :)

    ReplyDelete